Saturday, July 25, 2009

Editorializing

I am, by most accounts, an angry person. Through massive personal work I am not just randomly angry however. There are usually good reasons for my outbursts, and I try to find creative outlets for them. (I'm not sure if screaming obscenities at the gals on Good Morning America for covering another "news" item about Michael Jackson counts as a creative outlet, but hey, cut me some slack. It's early and I have to go to work.)

ANYHOO, one of the outlets I have used in the past and try to still use periodically is doing my own editorial cartoons. I discovered the beauty and anger of these in high school when I first read a book of Doug Marlette's Pulitzer prize winning cartoons. He was wonderful. The absolute joy and savagery he took in publicly destroying these puffed up hypocrites was bliss. He was one of the first in the nation to start questioning Jim And Tammy Fay Bakker when he worked at the Charlotte Observer. He took on evangelicals and politicians with equal force and woe unto you if you ever were caught in his crosshairs.

While I was in high school, my local paper was good enough to give me a shot at creating my own editorial cartoons. There was only one tiny little problem...I had absolutely no idea what was going on in the world or really how I viewed it. I was a teenager. Everything I was mad at then was completely irrelevant to the world at large. So, they weren't exactly what most people (outside of my mother and my grandmother) would consider "good". In fact, they were kinda terrible. Hopefully, my worldview is a bit more educated and broader now, so what I'm angry about makes a bit more sense.

Without further adieu, here is my latest attempt at chewing away at the last vestiges of any respect we give to public officials.



And if you have any questions about what's going on, just google the words "Sonny Perdue and fish". It's a remarkably stupid story.

No comments:

Post a Comment