Monday, July 6, 2009

Always looking for inspiration

As I get back into doing my art again on a regular basis, I find myself looking for not only subjects to work with but also other artists to draw inspiration from. As I said in the post below, I have revisited acrylics. The bull rider in the previous post is my first effort at them and this is my second.



Not bad, I don't think. My new attempts at these cantankerous paints is due in no small part to my friend at work, Tim. Tim has been building a birthday throne for children's parties we have at work (we work at a natural history museum). He actually built the throne himself, and is decorating it with his own paintings. Tim has also been working on this thing for several months and just finished it about a week ago. Lots of people have been giving him grief over how much time he was taking but I think you will agree, it was time well spent. This first is the overall throne.



Next I have some details of the back of the seat and the footrest.





And finally, the sides.





He may kill me for posting these, especially since these were taken about 3 weeks before he was even done, but if he has a problem I'll take them down. But I thought someone should put it out there how good he is. He doesn't have a website or a gallery representative yet which absolutely kills me. I like what I do and I feel like I'm pretty good at it and getting better. And I certainly don't ever compare myself to other artists (that way madness lies). But if I were to put a metaphor on to our styles it would be this: If we were automotive vehicles, he would be a 1959 Ferrari Testa Rossa while I am that lawn mower Forrest Gump rides around on. I'm not knocking myself. I think he is just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment