Sunday, May 9, 2010

Revelation

It's startling when something you have been doing almost literally your entire life suddenly clicks into place as something you could do for...well, almost literally your entire life. I have been drawing and painting for going on nearly 4 decades now. Since I was a wee lad in the Georgia countryside looking for my own way to escape what I saw as a boring existence (and have since learned to heartily embrace) I have used art as a means of expression and personal escape.

As a youth I did not have immediate access to oils and other fine art media and even when I did, I had no one to train me in their usage. I was extremely intimidated by these tools and it wasn't until college that I got my first true look at most of them. So what I was left with was pencil and pen. I never looked at color as much as I looked at the linear aspects of drawing. I have, of course, since learned to appreciate and even revel in my appreciation of color. But I still first look at those linear aspects that formed so much of my early views of drawing and composition.

Since I have started these pen and ink watercolors, it is as if some sort of mental barrier has been broken down for me. This method allows me the fine tuning I can achieve with pen and ink and the coloring that I later learned a love for. With the oils and other painting mediums I have to force myself to allow the details to not take over. I am not a "realism" painter. But with the pens I can achieve much more the look I am searching for.

First up, a cardinal.



Next up, an elephant. I have painted this big fella a few times now. On a trip to Africa many years ago, this was the first elephant we saw after MANY days of looking. I still like painting the old tusker's portrait...



I did both of these as tests for the new style. Both of them are only 4"x6" watercolor sheets. Let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. "Tusker" is magnificent.....almost regal and I think he deserves multiple representations. However, the Cardinal just happens to be my personal favorite in the "backyard birds" category so-o-o-o......"Reggie" gets my vote for best in show! Keep it up! I've been a fan for quite a number of years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Denise and thank YOU, mysterious stranger! Always nice to receive the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete