Friday, January 15, 2010

Moose Study

Yet again, as I stepped back from working on a painting, I did another ink wash as a means to keep my hands busy in the interim. As I was looking around the studio for some bit of inspiration, I found some pictures I had gotten off of the internet for a painting I did a few years ago. I am speaking of course of my wife's favorite ungulate, Alces Alces. The great Canadian freeway menace. Moose.

So I grabbed the ink brushes and went at it.



It is obviously much looser than the previous work of the bull I did. But that was the point. I just wanted to chisel in the forms and work out the composition WITH the forms. I rather enjoyed it, and I think I've got my next painting ready to go.

Normally I try to only work from what I myself have seen in person and either sketched or photographed. I have taken to working from some of Lady Paintmonkey's photos but even that doesn't feel exactly right, as she and I have different art sensibilities. However, I sometimes make exceptions, particularly for large hoofed mammals that tend not to range around mid to northern Georgia. However if you do see a moose tottering around the southern Piedmont area or heck, even a camel, please feel free to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment